Thursday, November 3, 2011

Oh Thank Goodness! It Is a Funny One!!

So, I'm only two chapters into Paul Scott's Booker winner, "Staying On", but so far I'm enjoying it. We're back in India for this novel, but this time with a retired British army couple. Who are very funny in a curmudgeonly way. I think I love them. The story is jumping around a bit in terms of timeline, but it's fairly easy to follow. Hurrah!

I'm feeling a bit stressed about my reading schedule today. I spent a little longer than I intended on "The Cellist of Sarajevo" and I'm going to lose about six hours of reading time to social activities this week. Normally I imagine I would just shrug this off, knowing that I'll be able to make up the lost hours and I should still be able to finish this novel by Monday, at the latest. However, I came across another book on my list yesterday, which I've never seen before. Have you seen "Sacred Hunger" by Barry Unsworth? It's a doorstop! And it's not the only Booker winner with an epic page count, either! How on earth am I going to keep on schedule when I come to these massive tomes?

I am, quite frankly, concerned. My only hope is to finish a few more of the shorter novels in less than 8 days, banking up days for the longer novels. In theory, this will work, it makes perfect sense - however, I know me. My psychology does not work this way. If I finish a book early, I will most likely reward myself with a non-Booker book, as I did last week. Chances are also good that finishing this non-Booker novel will take longer than the 'extra' time I banked by finishing early, as happened last week. All this means that I am having doubts about getting through all 46 Booker winners by next September. Hopefully facing the issue, being aware of it, will help to keep me on track. Admitting you have a problem is half the battle, right?

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment