Wednesday, December 14, 2011

That Was... Different.

I've just finished reading Penelope Fitzgerald's 'Offshore' - and, I don't get it. I'm sure there are lots of people who think it's a work of pure genius, but it's not for me.

I found the story structure rambled, and I was often guessing at who the speaker was. For a very short novel, there were a lot of characters with a lot going on. It read rather like a mid-season episode of a soap opera you've never seen. The conclusion of the novel resolved nothing. In fact, there isn't a single story line that was satisfactorily wrapped up, and that bugs the heck out of me. I have no idea what happened to any of these characters, so really what was the purpose of asking me to care for them over the past 181 pages? I see no point.

I'm rambling. Suffice to say I did not enjoy this book.

Next book is William Golding's "Rites of Passage" - third nautical related book in a row! I'm starting to feel a bit queasy...

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment