Monday, February 6, 2012

I Want To Give You A Book

I finished reading Thomas Keneally's "Schindler's Ark" late last night, having taken 12 days to read it. Slightly longer than my allotted time but I'm pretty pleased, actually. I admitted before that I was a bit apprehensive about reading this novel, and I was mostly concerned about the emotional intensity being too much for me to 'digest' in a short period of time. My apprehension was unfounded, however, and I found the story well-paced and engaging.

Most people are familiar with the story of Oskar Schindler, if not from the novel or Spielberg's masterpiece film "Schindler's List" then simply through pop-culture osmosis. It's an inspiring story about an industrial capitalist German who risks everything and spends millions to save the lives of over a thousand, mostly Polish, Jews during the Holocaust. It's a story that would be almost beyond belief as fiction, but it's true, and all the more amazing for all of Schindler's moral shortfalls. A war profiteer, an adulterer, a drinker, a charming briber who could seemingly get anything from anyone - all this, and also one of the greatest humanitarians of the twentieth century. I admit, even though I'd seen the movie, this novel kinda blew my mind. The humanity, compassion, dignity of this story was more inspiring than I ever thought it would be.

I loved this novel.

That having been said, much like Schindler, it's not perfect. Although it was well-paced, organized and easy to read, there were some stylistic decisions I disagreed with and some character arcs left unresolved. Because it is a historically true story I was able to research the unresolved stories to my own satisfaction, so that was alright. Also, the story was strong enough to over-come the minor stylistic flaws, but they are there. Overall, it did not negatively affect my enjoyment of the book.

So, I've now finished the two novels I was most worried about when I started my challenge. Neither book deserved the fear I held for them, and I'm really glad that I read them. In particular I feel that "Schindler's Ark" has deepened my belief in humanity, which is often a shaky deal (I work in retail, remember!) and therefore no small matter. For a book to actually make me believe that it is possible to make a positive impact on the world is no mean feat, and for that I am extremely grateful. It's one of the things I was hoping for when I started this crazy quest, so that's pretty awesome. Challenging fears, improving my life - books are so worth it.

On that note, I'd like to give you a book! March 12th will be the six-month mark of my Booker challenge and to celebrate I'm running a little contest. To enter, just comment on the blog between now and March 11th telling me what your favourite book is and why, and I'll enter your name in a draw to win a hard cover novel. The title is a surprise, but I will mail anywhere in the world - so, please share your favourite book with me!

My next read is Keri Hulme's "The Bone People". I've no idea what to expect from it, so I'm pretty excited!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Candice!!

    Great post, I would've had those same apprehensions about reading Schindler's Ark but now I know it's good I'll definetly check it out!!

    As for my favourite book, wow that's a tough choice! I think at the moment I'm going to have to go with A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. I love the whole A Song of Ice and Fire series but the first three are my favourites and I think in ASoS you get the most heart stopping plot twists, you learn more about old secrets and some fantastic new characters are introduced. That being said, it probably is tied with about three others for favourite if I really was really looking at all time fav, ;) You know all about my deep love of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings I think! But at the moment I'm in a GRRM phase so final answer is A Storm of Swords!

    Looking forward to hearing about The Bone People!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charline Harris for redonkulusly sex vamps ;)

    ReplyDelete