Tuesday, August 21, 2012

In Which I Admit Defeat.... Temporarily

After 12 days I have only read 8 chapters of "Sacred Hunger". Barry Unsworth is kicking my mental ass. I'm finding the writing style and the language to be archaic - it's just a real slog to try and read. Also, in one scene the characters are referred to alternately by their names, their professions, and the characters they are playing in an amateur dramatics production - confusing to say the least! I just cannot focus on this novel right now, so in the hope that I will be able to enjoy it properly at a later date, I am giving up trying to read it right now.

It feels pretty good.

Also, as I've mentioned previously, there is absolutely no way I'm going to finish this list by September 13th. Rather than discarding the idea of a deadline entirely, I've decided to extend it to December 31, 2012. An extra three and a half months still may not be enough time to read the remaining novels, but it's worth a shot! Quite frankly, January will be a month of delicious new 'genre' reading whether I'm finished with the Man Booker's or not - my 'want to read' pile is bordering on the unmanageable!

For now, I'm going back chronologically to 1971 and V.S. Naipaul's "In a Free State". Plus, I finally got a copy of the inaugural winner last week, so I may try that next.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment