Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I'm Really Bad At Posting During a Series, Apparently

I managed to stretch my reading of "The Nightmare Garden" to 17 days - I wanted to have book 3 in hand before I finished this one so that I wouldn't have to wait between books! I inadvertently saw a spoiler about this novel, and I knew I didn't want to reach that point in the story without being able to continue right away. I jumped right into "The Mirrored Shard" so I've been spending more time reading than writing!

I really loved this novel, it's a great adventure. Each story in the series features Aoife trying to rescue a loved one, traveling between realms and discovering things about herself and her heritage.  There's wonderful foreshadowing throughout the stories, although the execution doesn't always fulfill my expectations.  For instance, I was a little disappointed with the climax - I felt that the trial wasn't nearly as trying as it could have been.  That may have been an 'adult reading YA' issue, though.  It's hard for me to keep perspective as regards that. I think my problem is that the story is so huge I find myself wishing it were an adult novel, I feel like it would have 'much more muchness'.

I liked Aoife much more in this novel than the first, not that I didn't like her in the first, it's just that by the end of this novel I see her more as a person than just a... well. a brat!  She's very much a know-it-all teenager (as she should be!) but she's obviously grown up a bit, although she is still rushing about half-cocked.

I should have another post up in the next few days, as I'm going to force myself to write and post before I pick up my next read!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment