Thursday, September 15, 2011

Darn Life, interfering with my reading!

Hey! So, here we are on Day 4 - and I've only managed to read another two chapters since Day 2! This is not due to lack of interest in the story (which has had some interesting developments) but more due to the fact that I, occasionally, have a social life. I fully expect to catch up in the next couple days, and I'm suspecting I'll finish Book 1 ahead of schedule. I'm really kinda excited about the next book, so this makes me happy.

Heads up - there may be

!!SPOILERS!!

in this post. Proceed with caution if you have not yet read this book, and intend to do so. :)

I was not disappointed by Norman's reaction to Bella's "treats" - in fact, it was exactly what I expected. Which is, in itself, disappointing. The most dominant characteristic of the book so far is Predictability. I enjoy being surprised by fiction, it is one of life's greatest pleasures. In that respect, this book has been a bit of a let down. Chapter 10 held the first real surprise for me in Bella's gesture of active enabling, but looking at it now I probably should have seen it coming. When I first read the scene, which has Norman steal money from Bella's purse, I was angry that she would allow it. She saw him, she knew what he was doing, and she not only allowed it, she Helped! But, of course, it really makes perfect sense. As much as Bella hates her brother, she also needs him - she needs him to blame for the path of her own life, the fact that she hasn't grown up. She also desperately wants him to love her again, and she seems willing to buy that affection if necessary. Which pretty much sums up the First Visit for me. In their own way, each character was in 'by any means necessary' mode, sad and desperate.

Chapter 11 carries on that same feeling as Rabbi Zweck goes in search of Norman's dealer. Who he finds is the second surprise of the book for me, and him too. I was a little offended by the sexist attitude that a woman, even a "whore", couldn't be the drug dealer. Seriously, Rabbi? You hiked all the way there and your not even going to Ask if she's the dealer?? I feel like he must have forgotten his purpose, dazzled as he was by her cleavage (another moment of Ew please) but deep down I know he just can't fathom a female dealer. It doesn't even occur to him.

In non-Booker related literary news, I'm excited by the CPL's choice for the One Book, One Calgary event this year. It's Steven Galloway's 'The Cellist of Sarajevo' and I've heard such good things about it! The inaugural book didn't do anything for me (if I'm going to read history, it had better be ancient or Irish!) and I don't think I'm the only person who gave it a miss, because there wasn't much buzz about OBOC last year. I really hope having a fiction selection this year spreads the excitement that an event like this can generate. I visited Dublin a couple years ago during their One City, One Book event when they were reading Dracula, and it was a gas! Of course, Stoker being a native son, there were plenty of opportunities to expand the event, including gallery shows, tours, film nights, all sorts of things. But, really, it was the accessibility of the work that made the event exciting, and I'm sure that having a fiction selection this year will do the same here. So, find yourself a copy (I know a good store!!) and join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment