Sunday, September 11, 2011

To Begin

The Plan: Over the course of one year I will read all of the Man Booker Prize winning books, reporting on my progress and reviewing the books as I go.

There are currently 45 books on the list ( http://www.themanbookerprize.com/prize/archive ) which will give me approximately 8 days for each book. Woohoo! I'm excited about the challenge of reading so many books on a relatively short schedule. I'm also really looking forward to broadening my reading interests. I primarily read genre fiction, such as urban fantasy, mystery, and romance, with only the occasional foray into "literature". I suppose I have some preconceived notions that literature isn't as much fun as genre, which I'm hoping to dispel. In the interest of full disclosure, I have already read two of the books on the list (The Blind Assassin and Life of Pi) both of which I enjoyed, and I'm looking forward to re-reading.

My initial plan was to start with the first winner, P.H. Newby's 'Something To Answer For', and then work my way through the list chronologically. I figured, as award winning books, I would be able to find copies easily. I work in a used book store, and I love the Calgary Public Library ( http://calgarypubliclibrary.com/ ). Imagine my surprise when neither of them had listings for book 1 - that's really 'something to answer for'!

Ok, that was bad. Sorry.

Anyway, I also checked the Chapters website. No listing. www.abebooks.com had 51 copies listed, starting at $23.63. I'd prefer to buy local, so I'm going to continue looking for that one. I've decided that, for my purposes, time schedule is more important than reading order, so I'm jumping the queue and I'll be starting with Bernice Rubens' 'The Elected Member'. Reading begins tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment