Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Almost Completely Unrelated to the Booker

I have the coolest job in the world.

I work in a used bookstore, and a major part of my job is entering books into our store database. This means that I spend more than half of my work day looking at books. How cool is that?

Today, while entering books I came across one titled 'Ten Poems To Change Your Life' by Roger Housden. Curious as to whether I had read any of these poems, I took a look at the contents and discovered My New Favourite Poem, "Ode To My Socks" by Pablo Neruda.

I get frequent requests for the poetry of Neruda, but I've never read any before. I'm also an avid knitter, with a particular passion for socks. Obviously, I was meant to read this poem. You should also take a few minutes to read it.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/ode-to-my-socks/

I really relate to that urge to save precious items for 'special occasions' and Neruda reminded me that the beauty of anything is in the use of it, not in it's mere existence. Use the good china. Write on your souvenir paper (I can't be the only person with souvenir paper...). Love with all your heart. Wear your hand knit socks. It's all about living life rather than waiting around. Beautiful, inspiring stuff. I'm looking forward to reading some more Neruda - after I finish knitting my new socks.

Back to the Booker business.

I am exactly one month into my Booker challenge. I should have finished Siege of Krishnapur today but I didn't, I still have 80 pages to go, which means that I am for the first time behind schedule. I'm not actually concerned about this. I probably should be, but I'm not. I don't have the next book in my possession yet (it's coming home from the library tomorrow) and I should be able to finish SoK on the way into work, so I'll be able to start the new book either tomorrow evening or on the way to work Friday. Tonight instead of reading I spent the evening knitting. I think you know why.

I feel pretty good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment