Monday, October 3, 2011

Like Pulling Teeth

I was all ready to make comparisons between pulling teeth and reading deconstructionist fiction following my wisdom tooth removal today - but, the dental appointment was so much easier and more pleasant than reading 'G.'!

I love reading, and I've never really understood how someone could not enjoy it - fiction takes you out of your everyday life, while affirming your connections with the rest of humanity. It's a beautiful experience to read a book. Someone has imagined these characters, this world, these events and through the written word they have re-created their ideas within your own imagination - it is really an incredible feat, bordering on magic!

This novel is not providing anything even close to that. It's driving me a bit crazy. The story itself is not bad, but I simply cannot enjoy it with the constant interruptions of Berger writing about his writing. In fact, I will go so far as to say that I hate this novel. I had a moment of panic this afternoon when I decided that I would never read another book by Berger, and couldn't remember whether he had two Booker winners! Thankfully, another 124 pages and it's done. Plus, my next book is 'The Siege of Krishnapur' by J.G. Farrell, so things are looking up!

1 comment:

  1. Glad the extraction went well. Hope you're not in too much pain though. Now with all your days off, you'll have lots of time to read and blog!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete