Monday, October 24, 2011

What Was Your Name, Again?

Just a little over half-way into 'Heat and Dust' - and I'm already feeling a bit sad that it's such a short novel (only 181 pages) because I'm really enjoying it. I feel like 'The Siege of Krishnapur' gave me a really strong basis for enjoying this novel, which is also set in India just 65- and 110-years later. It's been pretty cool, like returning to a well-loved vacation destination where everything feels familiar even though it's all different since the last time you were here.

The story is split between 1923 and the mid-70's where a young woman has come to India to 'research' the life of her grandfather's first wife, Olivia, who ran off with a Nawab (the 1923 story line). The Nawab is a particularly interesting character, domineering and possessive but with charisma, though I can't help but think of his friends and 'guests' as being victims of rather brutal psychological abuse. I have a suspicion that the "romance" will not turn out well.

In the modern story line, I find I'm actually a lot shocked by the naiveté of this young woman (who seems to be nameless?) in her passive regard to what amounts to sexual assault. This probably says more about my world (a world that has always been dealing with HIV and is 97% unanimous that assault is Never a woman's "fault") than it does about the character, who is living in the era of "free love". But I was still shocked - I was, in fact, all "but he could have Anything! You don't want to have sex with him, but you just let him anyway?? What are you thinking! Have some self-respect!" and when a follow-up scene involved a pilgrimage meant to cure infertility, I was all "aw shit! Now you're gonna have that nasty man's kid - smooth move! Grrr. Frowny face.". I'm also a bit concerned about the developing relationship between her and the man she's renting from, which seems to alarmingly echo the situation (if not the dynamics) of the relationship between Olivia and the Nawab. Sometimes I worry that I get too involved with characters.

Now that I'm onto my sixth Booker prize winner (yay!!) I feel safe in making a few generalizations about these early winners. First, and so obvious that it probably doesn't bear mentioning but I will anyway, there's a really heavy British colonial feel to all the books I've read so far. It's not surprising, because the Booker is for "a citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland" but I didn't realize it would be so... noticeable. The only novel so far which lacked that strong colonization feel was 'G.' which was a bit more international, even though the character was essentially British.

My second observation is that, Dang! There are a lot of literally insane characters! It's become like a game of "where's Waldo" with me scouting out for the crazy person in every book - and usually, I don't have to look that hard. In "Elected Member" it was Norman; in "Troubles" it was Edward; in "G." well gee!; in "Siege of Krishnapur" I'd say the Padre won it; in "Conservationist" it was Mehring; and now in "Heat and Dust" there are a few options, but the obvious one is Ritu. It is a bit disturbing, but also amusing. I'm also kind of wondering if it is a trend that will continue through all 46 books. I'm betting it does.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the novel and glad to feel engaged again. Last week was a bit of a slough.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment