Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Finished My Berger, May I Have Desert Now?

Day 23, another book completed, I'm still on schedule (in fact, slightly ahead!) and I'm feeling pretty good about that! Tomorrow I start reading 'The Siege of Krishnapur' by J.G. Farrell which I'm really, really looking forward to. I loved 'Troubles' (have you read it yet? What are you waiting for! Go get yourself a copy, I'll wait here. Got it? Good. Let's continue) and after the disaster that was 'G.' I could really use an enjoyable piece of fiction. My book shelf has been mocking me with it's stacks of delicious urban fantasy, steampunk, romance, and mystery, but I haven't given in! I will stay strong!

I was actually surprised by the final section of 'G.' which turned out to be the most coherent part of the entire novel, and was almost lyrical in parts. The scene at the ball, in particular, had a lovely rhythmic flow to it that was almost beautiful. Not only was the phrasing more appealing, I felt for the first time in the entire book that the "principle protagonist" was more than just a politicized penis, that he was a character with intentions and (dare I say it?) emotions. I actually Felt Something for the character. It was oh so brief, and in no way redeemed the book for me, but I was relieved that the past eight days of reading weren't a complete waste. Not as relieved as I am that I will never have to read another book by Berger for the rest of my life, but relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment